Saturday, February 16, 2013

Countrywide Lock In

Alright fellow Newbie's, a prime example of the power of networking. In college I had this friend Jenn, we were Theatre Majors together, and great friends and all. Right after college she moved to Chicago and got married and later began library school, which I found out when I asked one of my old college professors to write me a letter of recommendation.

So the other day I get a Facebook message from her asking if we could schedule a phone call around our work schedules because she wanted to talk to me about library business and we had a great conversation the other day. Apparently various libraries around the country are trying to set up a Country Wide lock in on August 2nd for summer read. There will eventually be a website or blog or something where libraries can post videos and leave messages and talk about what they did for their "Dig into Read" or "Beneath the Surface" lock in.

It's the most amazing idea ever. Bring Your Child to the Library day is one thing, but a country wide lock in sounds like so much fun. So while we're having this conversation I'm thinking this is something that she though up and was trying to implement because if you know Jenn... she just does awesome things like that, however I was wrong. When I asked her about this she said that the idea stared in California. Somehow, through networking and knowing people, this idea made it's way from California to Chicago to Connecticut, 3,000 miles. Unbelievable!! I don't know if my library will allow a lock in, but I'm going to tell every librarian I know about this until I find someone who can  have a lock in, then I'm going to theirs.

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone is reading these yet but if you are, go to your Director and  ask if you can participate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment