Monday, June 3, 2013

My simplest/ toughest program yet.

So I meet with the TAG kids every month to plan a program for the following month and basically get their thoughts about how things are running in the Graham Room. I'm not sure if I blogged it but last month the kids put together their first program and called it Flashback Game Night. The basic idea was to get a ton of board and card games, set them up on various tables in our community room, and let kids have at it. Throw some food in there and it really isn't all that complicated. I though it would be no big deal, I figured between TAG, the book club, and the teen volunteers (and most kids all in all three), we would have maybe 12 or so kids.


I have never been more wrong about anything in my life, 23 kids showed up to this program and how many adults were there to supervise and keep things in order you ask, just one, only me. It was a ton of fun, but slightly overwhelming at the same time. I had kids calling me over to play Candy Land, then Boggle, then Apples to Apples. the next thing you know I'm on the floor playing twister. It was a ton of fun, but while that was happening, there was some kid throwing Jenga blocks, other kids suspiciously sneaking off to roll chairs down the hallway, lights were turned on and off, and I caught a pretzel mid air, nothing catastrophic, and nothing I couldn't handle, but a person can only be in so many places at one time.

People say that that's the most kids that have ever been to a program that we didn't put lots of money into, and I'm proud to have been a part of it, but next time, I'm bringing reinforcements.

0 comments:

Post a Comment