Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The 5th Wave- Review

My blogs are back. The summer read kickoff when without a hitch with the Sciencetellers and I've explained our prize system to about 500 people, that has to be the bulk of the chaos right... probably not, the last day of school is on Wednesday so I'm sure it only gets crazier from there. Alright, talking aside, about The 5th Wave.



After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
(Goodreads.com)

I've been waiting for this book since I saw it on the cover of Growing Minds magazine (which I love by the way). I give this book five stars, hands down. I'm normally not one for aliens. I've watched a few of the movies but for some reason I could never get into it, I could never suspend my disbelief and believe what I was reading or watching, but this, this book was different. The idea that the aliens attack the planet in waves, as opposed to dropping down from the mother ship with flying saucers and giant robots probably helped. These aliens managed to hit us (humans) in ways that we absolutely couldn't defend, by the time the 5th wave approaches, humanity is well on it's way to destroying itself.

The characters that Rick Yancey has created and thrown into this world are fantastic. Cassie begins the novel by doing the unthinkable. He has to make honest to goodness rough and tough decisions and the way that Yancey sets them into motion we feel with her. We cry with her, worry with her, and we're just as snarky as she is ( I love characters like that). All I can say about Evan without spoiling anything is I TOTALLY KNEW IT.

Happy reading!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment