Friday, October 31, 2014

Review: The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen


The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1)
In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.
As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.
An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats. (Goodreads)



Holy plot twist Batman. stumbled across that looked interesting before I began my half hour long drive to work, and man, was it better than I anticipated. Sage was a great character. He was defiant, cocky, and he really focused. I love that he always had a plan, and that no matter how hard Conner pushed. I like the Sage refused to be someone else puppet, he refused to be anyone other than who he wanted to be, and that was one of my favorite things about him.

Conner's character, although I hated him, he was a great character. He honestly thought that his "plan" would save Carthia (Is that how you spell it, I audiobooked this) although he clearly had his own selfish motivation for his actions.

Mott, that poor guy. I understand that his loyalty was to Conner, and I'm going to assume there's some back story there, but as he grew closer to Sage, I kind of felt bad for the guy. He was clearly torn between loyalty and he was knew was right.

Aaaaaaan, we get to the best part, the last five or so chapers, holy plot twist Batman. I pride myself on having the basics of a book figured out, there may be a thing or two I wasn't prepared for, but large scale, I've got it figured out, but I didn't see any of that coming. I couold hardly stand it. I was literally talking to my phone as things came to light. Snaaps Jennifer Nielsen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment